Sunday, October 2, 2011

Elliot Hundley: Eyes that run like leaping fire

In my previous blog post, I spoke about my visit to the Wexner Center for the arts on October 2nd. Along with Alexis Rockman's exhibit, I also viewed some pieces by Elliot Hundley. I loved all of his work because of the bright colors and 3d effects, but one that stuck out to me the most was Eyes that run like leaping fire.I found this piece very interesting because the colors and mass amount of details he put into the piece. The media of the piece was many different things that included wood, sound board, inkjet print on Kitakata, string, pins, paper, photographs, plastic, wire, and found embroidery. While viewing this artwork I could hardly tell what it was made of since there was so much going on. One thing that I did appreciate about the piece was that even though it had so much going on it still came together as a one image. The denotation I saw on the piece was a bunch of people painted and colorful string hung in front. After looking at the artwork for longer, I came to the connotation that the artist used so many different details to keep the viewer interested and have the eyes always looking at something different on the image hence the title. Almost nothing on the piece is the same, except for the woman painted on it, but even then she is shown in different angles with different facial expressions. I loved the creativity of Hundley's work and thought the big idea of his art was using everyday items like printed pictures and string and turning his art into 3d pieces. 

1 comment:

  1. You are one of the only people who addressed Hundley's work...I think they are so crazy and can't imagine how any of them even got completed. I like your '3d' description too.

    ReplyDelete